By Edmund P. Cueva,Shannon N. Byrne
This better half addresses a subject of constant modern relevance, either cultural and literary.
- Offers either a wide-ranging exploration of the classical novel of antiquity and a wealth of shut literary analysis
- Brings jointly the main updated foreign scholarship at the historic novel, together with clean new educational voices
- Includes concentrated chapters on person classical authors, comparable to Petronius, Xenophon and Apuleius, in addition to a wide-ranging thematic analysis
- Addresses difficult questions touching on authorial expression and readership of the traditional novel form
- Provides an finished advent to a style with a emerging profile
Read or Download A Companion to the Ancient Novel (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory books
This booklet breaks new floor within the learn of Dalit Literature, together with in its corpus, a number of genres resembling novels, autobiographies, pamphlets, poetry, brief tales in addition to photograph novels. With contributions from significant students within the box, it severely examines Dalit literary concept and initiates a discussion among Dalit writing and Western literary thought.
Taking part in at the often used metaphors of the 'turn towards' or 'turn again' in scholarship on faith, The flip round faith in the United States bargains a version of faith that strikes in a reciprocal dating among those poles. specifically, this quantity dedicates itself to a examining of faith and of spiritual which means that can not be decreased to heritage or ideology at the one hand or to fact or spirit at the different, yet is quite the manufactured from the consistent play among the historic details that take place ideals and the ideals that take form via them.
This book looks on the inception, composition, and 1907 book of The undercover agent, one in every of Joseph Conrad’s so much very hot political novels and a middle textual content of literary modernism. David Mulry examines the advance and revisions of the unconventional during the phases of the holograph manuscript, first as a brief tale, then as a serialized sensation fiction in Ridgway’s Militant Weekly for the yank industry, ahead of it was once broadly revised and released in novel shape.
On the flip of the 19th century, writers arguing for the abolition of the slave exchange and the emancipation of these in bondage used the language of sentiment and the political beliefs of the Enlightenment to make their case. This assortment investigates the rhetorical gains and political complexities of the tradition of sentimentality because it grappled with the fabric realities of transatlantic slavery.
- The Ashgate Research Companion to Thomas Lovell Beddoes (The Nineteenth Century Series)
- The Neuroscientific Turn: Transdisciplinarity in the Age of the Brain
- An F. Scott Fitzgerald Encyclopedia
- Ethics and Nostalgia in the Contemporary Novel
Additional info for A Companion to the Ancient Novel (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to the Ancient Novel (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Edmund P. Cueva,Shannon N. Byrne