By David Krasner
- Balances attention of canonical fabric with dialogue of works by way of formerly marginalized playwrights
- Includes reviews of prime dramatists, corresponding to Tennessee Williams, Arthur Miller, Eugene O'Neill and Gertrude Stein
- Allows readers to make new hyperlinks among specific performs and playwrights
- Examines the activities that framed the century, akin to the Harlem Renaissance, lesbian and homosexual drama, and the solo performances of the Nineteen Eighties and 1990s
- Situates American drama inside of better discussions approximately American principles and culture
Read Online or Download A Companion to Twentieth-Century American Drama (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
This booklet breaks new flooring within the research of Dalit Literature, together with in its corpus, quite a number genres similar to novels, autobiographies, pamphlets, poetry, brief tales in addition to image novels. With contributions from significant students within the box, it seriously examines Dalit literary concept and initiates a discussion among Dalit writing and Western literary thought.
Taking part in at the often used metaphors of the 'turn towards' or 'turn again' in scholarship on faith, The flip round faith in the United States deals a version of faith that strikes in a reciprocal courting among those poles. specifically, this quantity dedicates itself to a examining of faith and of non secular that means that can't be lowered to heritage or ideology at the one hand or to fact or spirit at the different, yet is quite the fabricated from the consistent play among the ancient details that show up ideals and the ideals that take form via them.
This book looks on the inception, composition, and 1907 booklet of The undercover agent, certainly one of Joseph Conrad’s such a lot extremely popular political novels and a center textual content of literary modernism. David Mulry examines the advance and revisions of the unconventional in the course of the phases of the holograph manuscript, first as a quick tale, then as a serialized sensation fiction in Ridgway’s Militant Weekly for the yankee industry, sooner than it used to be greatly revised and released in novel shape.
On the flip of the 19th century, writers arguing for the abolition of the slave exchange and the emancipation of these in bondage used the language of sentiment and the political beliefs of the Enlightenment to make their case. This assortment investigates the rhetorical beneficial properties and political complexities of the tradition of sentimentality because it grappled with the fabric realities of transatlantic slavery.
- Modernist Writing and Reactionary Politics
- Polar et postmodernité (Sang maudit) (French Edition)
- Poetic Conventions as Cognitive Fossils (Cognition and Poetics)
- Charles Henri Ford: Between Modernism and Postmodernism (Historicizing Modernism)
- Figures of Finance Capitalism: Writing, Class and Capital in Mid-Victorian Narratives (Literary Criticism and Cultural Theory)
- Into the Closet: Cross-Dressing and the Gendered Body in Children's Literature and Film (Children's Literature and Culture)
Extra info for A Companion to Twentieth-Century American Drama (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to Twentieth-Century American Drama (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by David Krasner