By Thomas M. Leonard,Jürgen Buchenau,Rodney Longley,Graeme Mount
No earlier paintings has lined the internet of vital gamers, areas, and occasions that experience formed the historical past of the USA’ kinfolk with its pals to the south. From the Monroe Doctrine via today’s tensions with Latin America’s new leftist governments, this background is wealthy in case stories of diplomatic, monetary, and armed forces cooperation and contentiousness.
Encyclopedia of U.S.-Latin American Relations is a finished, three-volume, A-to-Z reference that includes greater than 800 entries detailing the political, financial, and armed forces interconnections among the U.S. and the nations of Latin the USA, together with Mexico and the international locations in relevant the USA, the Caribbean, and South America.
- Each state and its courting with the United States
- Key politicians, diplomats, and revolutionaries in each one country
- Wars, conflicts, and different events
- Policies and treaties
- Organizations valuable to the political and diplomatic background of the western hemisphere
Key subject matters lined include:
- Coups and terrorist organizations
- U.S. army interventions within the Caribbean
- Mexican-American War
- The chilly conflict, communism, and dictators
- The battle on medicines in Latin America
- Panama Canal
- Embargo on Cuba
- Pan-Americanism and Inter-American conferences
- The function of commodities like espresso, bananas, copper, and oil
- “Big Stick” and stable Neighbor policies
- Impact of faith in U.S.-Latin American relations
- Neoliberal fiscal improvement model
- U.S. Presidents from John Quincy Adams to Barack Obama
- Latin American leaders from Simon Bolivar to Hugo Chavez
With expansive assurance of greater than 2 hundred years of significant and engaging occasions, this new paintings will function a major addition to the collections of educational, public, and faculty libraries serving scholars and researchers drawn to U.S. background and international relations, Latin American experiences, diplomacy, and present events.
Read or Download Encyclopedia of U.S. - Latin American Relations PDF
Similar international affairs books
The partnership among India and Taiwan is positioned in a digital maze of advanced political components. Given the middle factor of contestation of Taiwan’s political prestige in global affairs and India’s adherence to the “One China” coverage, the connection continues to be a delicate one for either companions. in recent times, Taiwan has signed the Cross-Strait monetary Cooperation Framework contract (ECFA) with Mainland China.
Peter Beyer has been a important determine within the debate approximately faith and globalization for a few years, this quantity is a suite of essays at the relation among faith and globalization with targeted emphasis at the proposal of faith, its smooth varieties and at the relation of faith to the country.
The USA in danger gathers unique essays via a wonderful and bipartisan workforce of writers and intellectuals to handle a question that issues to american citizens of each political persuasion: what are many of the maximum risks dealing with the USA this present day? The solutions, which variety from dwindling political participation to emerging poverty, and faith to empire, upload as much as a invaluable and well timed portrait of a selected second within the historical past of yankee principles.
The problem of Hegemony explains how overseas forces subtly impression overseas, monetary, and defense guidelines of declining international powers. utilizing detail-rich case experiences, this sweeping research integrates household and systemic coverage to provide an explanation for those nations' grand recommendations. The publication concludes with a dialogue of the consequences for the way forward for American overseas coverage.
- Gender and HIV/AIDS: Critical Perspectives from the Developing World (Global Health)
- Les Américains en Algérie 1942-1945 (French Edition)
- The Politics of Apolitical Culture: The Congress for Cultural Freedom and the Political Economy of American Hegemony 1945-1955 (Routledge/PSA Political Studies Series)
- Toward a Geopolitics of Hope
Additional resources for Encyclopedia of U.S. - Latin American Relations
Encyclopedia of U.S. - Latin American Relations by Thomas M. Leonard,Jürgen Buchenau,Rodney Longley,Graeme Mount